January 24, 2022
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWRs)
• Effectiveness of a Third Dose of mRNA Vaccines Against COVID-19–Associated Emergency Department and Urgent Care Encounters and Hospitalizations Among Adults During Periods of Delta and Omicron Variant Predominance — VISION Network, 10 States, August 2021–January 2022. Link here.
• COVID-19 Incidence and Death Rates Among Unvaccinated and Fully Vaccinated Adults with and Without Booster Doses During Periods of Delta and Omicron Variant Emergence — 25 U.S. Jurisdictions, April 4–December 25, 2021. Link here.
• Use of the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccine: Updated Interim Recommendations from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices — United States, December 2021. Link here.
• Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Receipt of Medications for Treatment of COVID-19 — United States, March 2020–August 2021. Link here.
• Notes from the Field: Early Evidence of the SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.529 (Omicron) Variant in Community Wastewater — United States, November–December 2021. Link here.
• COVID-19 Cases and Hospitalizations by COVID-19 Vaccination Status and Previous COVID-19 Diagnosis — California and New York, May–November 2021. Link here. CDC statement here.
New & Updated
• Antigen Testing Guidelines have been released in the interim for healthcare providers who order antigen tests, receive antigen test results, or perform point-of-care testing, as well as for laboratory professionals who perform antigen testing in a laboratory setting or at the point-of-care and report those results.
• COVIDtests.gov launched on January 18th. This site allows every home in the U.S. to order 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests. These tests are rapid antigen tests (not PCR) and provide results within 30 minutes.
• CDC's Types of Masks and Respirators has been updated to emphasize protection, fit, and comfort in masking. Specifically, the page describes the protection provided by available masks and respirators, noting that some provide better protection than others.
School and Work
• Guidance for COVID-19 Prevention in K-12 Schools
• Overview of COVID-19 Isolation for K-12 Schools
• Overview of COVID-19 Quarantine for K-12 Schools
• What you Should Know About COVID-19 Testing in Schools
• Responding to COVID-19 Cases in K-12 Schools: Resources for School Administrators
• Schools, Child Care, and Colleges
• Interim Guidance for Managing Healthcare Personnel with SARS-CoV-2 Infection or Exposure to SARS-CoV-2
• Strategies to Mitigate Healthcare Personnel Staffing Shortages
• School Learning Modalities (HHS Protect Public Data Hub)
• Communication Resources for Travelers
• CDC COVID-19 Travel
• 12 COVID-19 Vaccination Strategies for Your Community
• Find a COVID-19 vaccine near you: Vaccines.gov
o Individuals in the U.S. can utilize a text messaging service to locate vaccine locations, available in both English and Spanish. Individuals can text their ZIP code to 438829 (GETVAX) and 822862 (VACUNA) to find three locations nearby that have vaccines available.
Science and Data
• Omicron Variant: What You Need to Know
• What You Need to Know About Variants
COVID-19 Testing Guidance
• Testing Strategies for SARS-CoV-2 describes and compares different types of testing strategies for SARS-CoV-2.
• Self-Testing provides information on when, why, and how to use a self-test for COVID-19.
Influenza (flu) Guidance
• Increasing Seasonal Influenza A (H3N2) Activity, Especially Among Young Adults and in College and University Settings, During SARS-CoV-2 Co-Circulation
• FAQ: CDC Distribution of COVID-19 Assays
• CDC Digital Media Toolkit: 2021-22 Flu Season
• CDC Endorses ACIP’s Updated COVID-19 Vaccine Recommendations
• CDC Expands COVID-19 Booster Recommendations to 16-and-17-year-olds
• COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shots
• COVID-19 Vaccines for Children and Teens
• COVID-19 Vaccination for Pregnant People to Prevent Serious Illness, Deaths, and Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes from COVID-19: CDC strongly recommends COVID-19 vaccination either before or during pregnancy because the benefits of vaccination outweigh known or
• Science Brief: Evidence Used to Update the List of Underlying Medical Conditions Associated with Higher Risk for Severe COVID-19
• Quick Conversation Guide on COVID-19 Vaccines for Children
• Resources to Promote the COVID-19 Vaccine for Children & Teens
• Using the COVID-Vac Tool to Assess Your COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic Staffing and Operations Needs
References to non-CDC sites are provided as a service and do not constitute or imply endorsement of these organizations or their programs by CDC or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. CDC is not responsible for the content of pages found at these sites. URL addresses listed were current as of the date of publication.
Holly Laird, MPH (she/her)
STLT Policy & Public Health Partnerships
State, Tribal, Local, and Territorial Support Task Force (STLT TF)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
1600 Clifton Road, NE, MS H21-5, Atlanta, GA 30349-4027